Sunday, October 01, 2006

Lunch Time



I am lucky to be working on Sukhumvit soi 33. I have a huge variety of choices to indulge myself for lunch. I can walk to the hi-so shopping mall Emporium for lunch, or walk over to soi Villa (mini Japan town) for the wide selection of Japanese restaurants, or eat on the street all around the area.

Let me introduce you to the street food near my office. Like any busy person, sometimes there is no time to have sit-down meal for lunch. So, thank goodness for the street food. Not only is it convenient, no only is it cheap, but thank the heavens it is also yummy.

My first introduction is 'Som-Tam woman', she makes a wonderful som-tam (papaya salad) in front of my building (how convenient is that?). The perfect blend of taste that make a great som-tam. Sour, sweet, tangy, and spicy. I have no idea how she does it. She makes it while talking to me, no measuring, just from feeling and seeing. Amazing. The som-tam always turns out perfect.



I always choose som-tam Thai, which means the most basic som-tam. If you are adventurous, you can choose the som-tam pu (with marinated crab). My friends always have stomache problems after eating the som-tam crab, but they cannot resist it because it is so good.



Som-tam consist of fresh green and julienne papaya, it is put into a mortar and then she adds lime juice, fish sauce, liquified palm sugar, garlic, roasted peanuts, dried shrimp, long green beans, cherry tomatoes and topped off with Thai chillies and a pinch of msg. Then she lightly pounds all the ingredients together.

I always have to have her roasted chicken with the som-tam (but you can choose the roasted fish as well). The chicken is amazing, always nicely roasted outside but very moist inside.



The sauce that accompanies the chicken is also fantastic (have no clue what it consist of). And the final part to complete my simple lunch is sticky rice.



All for only 65 baht ($1.73 or 1.34 euros). Absolutely amazing.

No comments: