Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Pak Bakery

I used to live next to Pak Bakery a few years ago when it was a run down shack. Though highly popular for its simple Thai pastries and simple Thai food. I was never tempted to enter the bakery to sit and eat.


Then to my surprise; they renovated the place (which as not been seen it was open in 1979). Its much more modern, homey but a still a bit kitsch. With big windows; more light streams in, the space itself is welcoming. They offer free wi-fi. The Thai food is simple, very good and affordable. The pastries are unique like coconut cake, pandas cake, or chocolate & banana cake, etc.; and they are very yummy. I have a been a fan ever since.

It was Saturday but I had so much work to finish. So, I decided to have lunch at Pak Bakery and at the same time do some work (thank goodness for the free wi-fi).


I ordered a Pad Thai. I like Pak Bakery's pad thai because its a bit dry and not too oily. A nice portion with big shrimps. The rice noodles were cooked just right, and the spices made a good combination of sweet, sour and spicy. It was quite good.


For my dessert to go with my coffee; I ordered the cocoa cake. Amazingly indulgent but what is so nice about this cake is that it is not too sweet, which is what I hate about most Thai cakes. The chocolate cake itself is very moist and the cocoa topping is soft and creamy. A great combination.


The cappuccino that would keep me awake to finish my work.


Pak Bakery is not only known for its sweet pastries but also for its savoury pastris. I always have their beef pie for a snack or their pork & mushroom bun is delicous. The choices for the sweet and savoury pastries are huge, which is good for me so that I keep returning and try every single one.

www.pakbakery.com

Pak Bakery
Thai/Bakery
96/8-9 Sukhumvit soi 23
Open daily 7am-10pm
02-258-4248

1 comment:

Dave Smith said...

Great little restaurant,always good to see someone doing something right.Nice meals,great pasries.good value whorth a visit or two.